“He’s just a little cold backed”

Discussion in 'Horse Chat' started by Arem, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Alyssa Hughes

Alyssa Hughes Senior Member+

My horse did this once for no reason and has never again...

Arem likes this.
  2. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

lol. I don't have any mules this cold backed but we do have one horse that will occasionally stand in for a kite. We absolutely have to "send him round" at least once each direction before getting on or he will most likely buck. He rarely bucks on the lunge, and we usually just send him round on the 8' lead rope, but we can almost bet on him bucking if we don't send him!

That mule got some serious air!

3. lucky_pine

lucky_pine Senior Member

My friend had one like this and I thought she was full of poo and just riding him poorly. Let me tell you, I CAN NOT ride a buck like that!

kodemiester, equinitis and Arem like this.
  4. doublelranch

doublelranch Senior Member

My friend couldn't ride it either. Doesn't even remember it. She takes very good care of both her mules, but has never ridden again.

Arem likes this.
  5. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

There are some folks who just don't believe some animals are cold backed and think there is always some sort of problem with the animal, the tack, the way they are ridden, etc. Champ is the only one we have and is the only one anyone remembers out of all of the animals born, raised and trained on our place in the last 50 years or so. He is truly cold backed although he doesn't buck every time, he is strong and athletic so when he does buck, it is explosive and very quick. He one time stuck the saddle horn through the roof of the shelter. He is 14hh and the roof is 10'. More than twice his height in the air and with enough force to drive the horn through galvanized tin!

6. bellalou

bellalou Senior Member

That brings up a good point. How do you recognize cold backed vs. something wrong? Is it just trial and error or are the reactions and behavior different? I’ve never dealt with a cold backed horse.

Alyssa Hughes likes this.
  7. equinitis

equinitis Senior Member

It is trial and error, lots of tack fitting and some teeth checking. He is full of attitude, apparently that is what you get when you cross Apps with Barbs. Champs 1/2 sister, by the same stallion, is also full of attitude but her default misbehavior is to get VERY light in the front rather than buck. Champ is pretty much a turd and I don't like him even a little bit but I cannot complain about the way he treats even beginner riders once he is sent round a time or two. He is get 'er done kind of guy and likes to motor, no puttering around for him. He is am amazing power walker, no gait other than a flat walk, but man can he git it done for a short guy.

He is, and I don't think it is coincidence, very dominant in the pasture and almost impossible to catch for everyone except my FIL. He is just a very strong minded horse who does not have a steady job.

ginster and Alyssa Hughes like this.